Monday, February 8, 2010

Communication

I read the recent DANCE STUDIO LIFE MAGAZINE and one article entitled “Little Kids, Big Expectations” here is an excerpt from it that really hit home

“These early lessons in dance class are not necessarily intended to develop them into prima ballerinas, they are life lessons. Along with dance basics, I am teaching them how to be good listeners, be respectful, connect with another person, and rise to challenges. I am teaching them self-respect and self-excellence. I am introducing them to values that will help these children grow into adults who do not accept mediocrity in their lives or in themselves. Those lessons need to start very early on, and those values will help these children change the world.”

This just hit home with me. I couldn’t have put it into words better myself. When I teach dance this is what I try to instill into my kids and teens. During the off season when I direct and choreograph for high schools and theatres, I just don’t teach steps to them. I TEACH and I get them to not only learn the dance steps but all the other qualities that go along with doing a show. I agree that the youth that I teach will be the upcoming generation that will change our world for the better. It is my job as a teacher to make sure they have all the confidence, tools, and support they need to do so. So even when I am not teaching “dance classes” I am still a teacher when working with the youth in the Arts.

Another thing I was reminded about in music theatre/performing is the word COMMUNICATION. I teach about passion/energy and that is the basis for everything. Doing something without passion is not worth doing in the first place. I teach my teens to always have passion when learning/performing. One thing I need to remember to do is to make the word “communicate” just as important as passion. The Arts is about communicating. Whether we are trying to tell a story, and emotion, entertain, or whatever-we have to communicate in some form to get the message across. Music Theatre is about connecting with each other on stage, and making the audience feel something for the characters or shows. You have to engage the audience by communicating with them. When a poet writes a poem he needs to do it in a sense that touches the readers. An artist needs to use colors and styles to get his feeling across to those who look at the paintings. A musician needs to play his instrument with such feeling that the notes and melody are accepted by the listener in a fashion that touches them and makes them feel the certain mood. All of these are forms of communicating. The Arts are about communication. Without that key factor, it is not Art. And how does one communicate? With Passion! So I have been teaching the youth of Wichita correctly, I just need to add the last step and make sure there end product of passion includes communicating.

1 comment:

  1. your a great blogger, can I sell your words to make millions?

    ReplyDelete