Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wood Floors!!!

When I started looking for a house almost three years ago I really wanted wood floors. The house I bought was wonderful and had everything I could ever need and want....except wood floors! Lately I have been wanting them even more. I had been looking at how much it would cost and checking craigslist for any super good deals. I was reminded that since my house is so old that there is probably wood under my carpet. I went home during lunch one day and pulled up the carpet in one corner and low and behold!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was wood!!!! That night I just got the impulse to rip up all the carpet in my dining room. I must admit I had a little something to drink which helped that impulse come to pass. :)

I the next few days I proceeded to move all of my dining/living room furniture into the front bedroom and onto the front porch (with some help of some great friends!). I ripped up the carpet in the living room also. After it was all ripped up I started pulling up all the carpet tack along the walls and the MILLIONS of staples! That was the worst part. After the floors were clean of things I got the impulse (sober this time) that I wanted to paint the two rooms. After looking at some different colors I decided to go with SMOKEY SLATE. A green/grey color. I painted all the walls in both rooms and it looks good.

I started researching how to sand and stain your wood floors...I watched all the youtube videos and read all the online tutorials. I was READY! I went and rented a sander and all the sand paper. It was amazing what I could do in just one day. It was starting to look really good!

After what seemed like an eternity of sanding I was ready to stain! I picked a medium color calle PECAN and applied it with a mop. It worked really well and the color is pretty even throughout. There was some water damage on two spots on the floor and those are a little darker but not that bad at all. After the stain dried I started to apply the polyutherane. I got two coats of that on the floors and called it good!

When everything had dried my base boards and the trim around my windows and doors looked yellow! I could not have that. So I repainted all of those and now they look just like new!

I had the men come back and help me move my furniture back into place. Now that I have been in the rooms for a while there are a few spots where the finish isn't as even as other places and a few little bubbles in the floor. If I had paid someone to do this job those things would NOT be acceptable. But since I did it and worked my butt off I think it just gives the house a little more character. :) So $219.00 later I have a remodeled living and dining room, sore muscles, and an experience I will never forget!



before..........



AFTER!!!




before.....


AFTER!!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my heavens, totally amazing. Those old houses are just GEMS!!! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshie you are AMAZING. If I ever get a house, you will be my interior decorator? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh! Your place looks awesome!! Ivins misses you.
    XOXO Meg R

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really phenomenal, Josh. Really really.
    I like the way the white trim 'pops' against the dark walls and floor.
    If this were an HGTV episode, I'd be thinking...I want that!

    So Bravo, friend!

    ReplyDelete