Monday, February 14, 2011

Update on House

I got the crazy idea to remodel my kitchen. After getting quotes for new cabinets and counters that were WAY above my price range I decided to take on a little (or not so little) project of my own.

I wanted to start small at first and I primed all the doors and the body of a laminate tv hutch I have in my basement. I got some paint and put two coats on it all. I found some cheap wallpaper and lined the inside of the hutch with that. I then sanded the edged of the doors to make it have a worn/rustic feel to it. I then had some help from my Wichita Family to put the TV back in...because it was so heavy! I think it looks real good and it looks like real wood furniture now!



After attempting and succeeding with that project I was ready to take on the kitchen. I took the cabinet doors off of and started priming all the cabinets. Then started painting away. I got some rope looking trim to put on the edges of the new open shelves. I also used that border for the beadboard that I used on one wall (not finished with that yet so you don't get to see pictures of that!). I then removed my sink...Which was quite a project in it's own!!! I ripped out the old tile backsplash and then I prepared to tile the counter and sink. I found this tile for only $5.00 a square foot!!! It was quite the deal. I tiled and grout sealed all the tile and while the sink was out I installed a new faucet. Put the sink back in and the counters were finished! Next I added the beadboard and trim on the wall where my buffet will go. I then painted the room a grey granite color and the hallway adjoining the kitchen the same color. Next was the mason jar chandelier. That was the hardest thing to do!!! You would think tiling or removing a sink would be the hardest....BUT the mason jars were what did me in! I finally got them hanging and working! So the kitchen is finished for now.





I have been going to estate sales, flea markets, and antique stores and have found some great frames! I have painted them white and have done a collage of frames in the dining room. Also made a wall of tin signs heading towards the basement.









I think I am finished withe projects for a while!










2 comments:

  1. I am SO in love with you kitchen!!!! I cant wait to see it in real life!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are SOOOO ambitious! It looks great!!! We need to see before/after pics!

    ReplyDelete